Introduction To Soybean Oil Processing Technology
Crude soybean oil is obtained from soybean seeds which go through the preparatory steps before undergoing solvent extraction process. The crude soybean oil is further refined for making it free from fatty acids, colour pigments and numerous other components harmful to human beings.
Refining Process Of Soybean Oil
As stated above, solvent extracted soybean oil undergoes refining process in soybean oil refining plant. The process of soybean oil refining is conducted in four steps which are listed as well as explained below
- Gums conditioning and Neutralization
Crude soybean oil contains a relatively high concentration of phospholipids compared with other vegetable oils. Degumming is a process of removing these components from crude soybean oil to improve its physical stability and facilitate further refining. In this process oil is treated with water to precipitate the hydrate able phosphorous which removed through the centrifugal separation system and obtained gums is dried to make lecithin which is used in many applications in food industry.
Gums Conditioning And Neutralization
This process is accomplished in several steps which are listed below
- Degummed oil received is treated with phosphoric acid in to a suitable retention tank to convert non hydrate able phosphorus in to hydrate able form.
- After the completion of above process acid mixed oil is treated with caustic soda lye in another retention vessel to neutralize the fatty acids and phosphoric acid as well.
- Once retention time is completed, oil and soap is separated in centrifugal separator.
- Neutralized and soap separated oil further treated with hot water to remove the traces of soap which was not fully separated in previous process.
- Neutralized oil first heated and treated with 10-15% hot water in dynamic mixer and send in to centrifugal separator to separate the soap mixed water from oil.
- Washed oil is dried in to vacuum drier at 80 mbar pressure in which water is sucked by vacuum and clear oil transferred in to Neutral oil storage tank.
- Finally the washed oil is transferred to the neutral oil storage tank after drying it through vacuum.
The next process after degumming is bleaching which is conducted for removing the contaminants such as colour pigments, polycyclic aromatic compounds, dirt, traces metals, phospholipids and several other impurities. Further the process of bleaching also involves multiple steps.
The last step of refining is deodorization which is a physical process conducted for removing numerous volatile components. It is basically a vacuum stripping process which makes use of a stripping agent. Just like above-listed process, this process is also conducted in steps. All the steps are listed and explained below
- De aeration: This process is conducted in De aerator at a standard temperature under high vacuum. At first, the oil is charged and sparge steam is used for the removal of air traces which is further sucked through a vacuum.
- Heating: The process of heating is conducted in a heater that is specially designed for functioning under the very low pressure.
- Striping: This process is carried out at a high temperature for the removal of odoriferous compounds as well as the fatty acids from the oil via stripping steam.
- Cooling: In this step the temperature of the oil is reduced by the heat exchange with feed oil and followed by clean water through special designed heat exchangers.
Further, the temperature of oil is brought to the required level and required quantity of anti-oxidant dosing is added in to oil after which the oil is transferred to the storage tank through a polishing filter.
Advantages Of Jagdish Soybean Oil Refinery Plant
Today, Jagdish is leading the edible oil refining industry with its latest techniques and energy efficient plants. We have supplied more than 100 plants in different parts of the world on turnkey basis. We believe in moving with time thus keep up with the technical advancements in edible oil refining industry.